Media Matters for Democracy is pleased to announce the launch of an internship program tailored for students of media departments in public and private universities across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
This opportunity is exclusively available to students currently enrolled in the sixth, seventh, or eighth semester. The internship program aims to provide selected students with valuable hands-on experience within some of Pakistan’s leading media outlets. Participants will have the chance to work alongside experienced mentors affiliated with this program, offering them a unique opportunity to enhance their skills and gain insights into the intricacies of the media industry.
Eligible candidates are invited to apply for this internship, which is designed to contribute to their professional development and prepare them for potential roles within the Pakistani media landscape. We encourage interested students to submit their applications and seize this opportunity to gain practical experience and mentorship within the dynamic field of media.
Media Matters for Democracy looks forward to fostering the growth and development of aspiring media professionals from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa through this internship initiative.
To be eligible for the fellowship, applicants should:
- Have completed at least five semesters of media / mass communication studies at a university in KP
- Can demonstrate interest in news media
The applicants would be shortlisted on the basis of the following criteria;
- Academic experience – Applicants should be currently enrolled in the sixth, seventh, or eighth semester of a media-related program in public or private universities across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. This criterion ensures that candidates have a foundational understanding of media concepts and are at a stage in their academic journey where they can actively apply and benefit from the internship experience.
- Demonstrated interest in news media and journalism – The jury will prioritise candidates who can showcase a genuine passion for media and journalism. This may be evidenced through previous coursework, extracurricular activities, relevant projects, or any other experiences that highlight the applicant’s commitment to the field. Please make sure to attach relevant course work or experience details to your application.
- Strong Communication and writing skills – Effective communication and linguistic skills are fundamental in the media industry. Candidates should possess strong verbal and written communication skills. This includes the ability to articulate ideas clearly, write coherently, and engage in effective interpersonal communication. The communication and writing skills will be assessed through the cover letter attached with the application.
- Haroon Rashid is a journalist and media practitioner with a career spanning three decades. He is presently the Managing Editor at Independent Urdu, and has in the past been affiliated with news organisations such as BBC Urdu, Pakistan Observer and The News.
- Farzana Ali is an accomplished journalist and media professional. She is currently the Bureau Chief of Aaj News in Peshawar. She started her career in 1997 and since then, has reported extensively on human rights, and terrorism-related issues among others.
- Sadaf Khan is the co founder of Media Matters for Democracy, a media trainer and a media and Internet policy advocate. She has 20 years of experience in media and media development industry and focuses on gender inclusion and diversity in media and media and internet governance.
How to apply?
All interested applicants are requested to send in their applications by filling a Google Form linked below. The last date to apply is 15th February 2024.
Should you have any questions or queries regarding the application process, please write to email@example.com. The applications should be submitted using the link below. We look forward to your applications.